1923 Watkins F. Nisbet 1940 (1940)
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter
Built at Birkenhead England by Cammell Laird & Co., Hull 902
Launched
261’ LOA, 253’ LBP, 43’3” beam, 20’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1000 IHP
Enrolled at Port Adelaide England
253.0 x 43.2 x 17.8, 1747 GT, 1265 NT Br 147230 to:
Eastern Steamship Co., St. Catharines ON, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port Port Adelaide England)
Entered service 1923
Enrollment transferred to Canada 1931 Can 147230 (home port to St. Catharines ON)
Sold Dec 29, 1936 to Upper Lakes & St. Lawrence Transportation Co., Toronto Ont.
Requisitioned 1940 for off-Lakes service during World War II and left the Great Lakes
Sunk Dec 1940 by enemy action off British coast
2339
The remains of the Watkins F Nesbit can still be seen at very low tides on Penros beach Anglesey although very little is left to be seen
The Watkins F Nesbit was stranded on Penrhos beach on the 6 December 1940,she was cut in half on the beach, where the forepart was abandoned and may still be seen at very low tides .The after half, containing all the machinery,was sealed and floated to Port Dinorwig and later on to Birkenhead. Penrhos beach is near Llanddwyn island Anglesey , North Wales.